Friday, October 16, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are

I used to live with Wild Things. Now they've grown up and flown the coop. Sometimes the Older Wild Thing stops by and starts a wild rumpus ...


but it's just not the same. (Even though he's really good at juggling avocados.)


But what about the movie?


I read the review this morning in the NY Times. Manohla Dargis liked it pretty well.


http://movies.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/movies/16where.html


This Older Wild Thing is against the movie. "People in my generation," he said, "just like anything that reminds them of their childhood. Even if they don't remember it very well."


I pointed out that all generations are like that. He said his generation, Millennials, are more like that. I forgot to point out to him that my generation invented Oldies stations, but I usually forget to make my argument-winning points with him.


I've been thinking about this all day. He had me convinced that it would be wrong to see the movie, a betrayal of our times reading the book together and everything Maurice Sendak stands for. Even though Maurice Sendak must have approved of the movie. He had me convinced that because of the movie, nobody will ever read the book again.

I even dug the book out of the bookcase (which needs dusting). It's so great. Max has such a little expression on his face, the Wild Things are scary yet winsome, and the story ends perfectly with a dinner (still hot) waiting for Max. It's filled with love.


Maybe I'll see the movie, even though there's no child to see it with, just my fellow baby boomer husband. We will love it that James Gandolfini is the voice of the head of the Wild Things. And on the way home from the theatre, maybe we'll listen to the oldies station.



No comments:

Post a Comment